Description

Things that simplify and enhance my life and home...and hopefully yours too!

Monday, February 2, 2015

Upright Stacked Tee-Shirt Folding System



My husband easily has over 100 tee-shirts, and he gets more ALL THE TIME... Granted, doing laundry is not one of my strengths, but when I do finally get around to it, nothing frustrates me more than opening a drawer to put in a new pile of folded tee-shirts, only to find a jumbled mess like the "before" picture shown above.  I guess I can't blame him completely -- with the shirts stacked flat, it's hard to see the different choices, and harder to pull out the shirt you want without making a mess of the pile.

I recently came across, on Facebook, this great article:  19 Genius Ways to Organize Your Closet and Drawers. 

I saw their idea for stacking tee-shirts upright and thought -- "BRILLIANT"!!  I gave it a try and so far it is a huge success!   Ralph can easily see all his shirts and remove the one he wants without making a mess of the rest!  (Lots of other great organizing ideas in that article, by the way!)

Here's how I implemented the upright stacked tee system.  Make adjustments as necessary to fit your drawers.


1) Lay the shirt with front-side down.  Fold in sides of tee lengthwise.


a)

b)

c)

2) a) Fold the bottom of the shirt up as needed, to clear the height of your drawer after the next two folds.  b) Fold shirt up in half.  c) Fold shirt up again in half.

a)

b)

3) If you have several shirts, fold all of them like this and stack them up.  a) Put the stack in your drawer with the neck opening down.  b) You now can flip through your shirts much like a card catalog and see your tee-shirt designs.


Ta-daaa!  If you want to get fancy, you can sort the shirts by theme, colors, solid vs. design, short-sleeve vs. long, etc.  I do see one potential issue -- if you get delinquent on doing laundry and the # of shirts in a row get low, the stack could fall over...so you may need to consolidate rows.  

Good luck and I hope this system works for you!

2 comments: