Description

Things that simplify and enhance my life and home...and hopefully yours too!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My Tattoos!



Growing up, tattoos were a much bigger deal than they seem to be now.  They are definitely more and more common nowadays, and more and more mainstream.  I often go to corporate events and never feel uncomfortable or judged.

I got my first tattoo just a little over a year ago.  Jungle flowers around my ankle.  I got my second one a year later on my upper back -- a fairy wand and fairy dust trail.  The first one took an hour and a half and the second one took about 20 minutes.  For both, I was wincing in pain the whole time and taking deep breaths, but made it through with no tears.  Even with the pain, I have to admit, I am thinking about a third!

Why am I including this in my blog of favorite things?  A friend of mine just a little older than me who just got her first tattoo put it best: "It is truly a liberating experience."  

To be able to decide what means enough to you that you want to tattoo it on your body, what message you want the world to see, and what you want to see on yourself every day... that is quite empowering.  The ultimate expression of yourself.

Some advice:

  • Don't rush it.  Think about what you want.  When you come up with the perfect idea, you'll know you're ready.
  • Research to find a good tattoo artist / studio.  Ask friends, look at on-line reviews.
  • Truly think about where you want it and size.  Consider what are your best assets that you want to highlight.  If you go through all that pain, do you want it to be readily seen?  What location makes sense for the design you choose?  How much pain can you handle?  
  • Think about time of year -- after-care usually involves time off from heavy workouts and covering up from the sun.
Good luck if you decide to get one!

No comments:

Post a Comment